Facebook Share
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oversaturation
With so many people becoming graphic designers, it's not surprising that there is increased competition -and even oversaturation -in the market. 

As for young people just entering the field, many find themselves in the awkward situation of competing for positions with displaced workers with a decade of experience. This can be discouraging when getting your start.  And for older designers who are displaced by younger creatives. 

This market saturation also affects how designers are hired and fired -and of course salary negotiations. There is always someone ready and willing to replace you, or who is desperate for a job.  For me this has been my greatest challenge as a designer.  What are some of yours?
Return to top
I'm not really into graphic designing but plan to make my own business. One of the biggest challenges to face is merely making myself and my works known as well as gaining positive attention.
Return to top
Hi @frogspot? You can tackle this issue by contracting with existing customers on an ongoing basis by providing maintenance and support services at the beginning of an engagement.
Return to top
Yeah, I could the man main issue is that for me and most others, it takes money to make money, which can be a bit of a struggle.
Return to top
One major effect of the competition in market for designers is its serious impact on the price and quality of job offered. As there are several competing factors in the market, the price for a job have drastically reduced because some many people are eager to offer better services for a cut price because of stiff competition. Some designers would actually have to lower the quality of their job just to give it at a very subsidized rate while some would still offer the same high quality job for a cut price. This is the biggest challenge I see in the market of designer today.
Return to top
(04-06-2018, 09:59 PM)Sweerie_banana Wrote: With so many people becoming graphic designers, it's not surprising that there is increased competition -and even oversaturation -in the market. 

As for young people just entering the field, many find themselves in the awkward situation of competing for positions with displaced workers with a decade of experience. This can be discouraging when getting your start.  And for older designers who are displaced by younger creatives. 

This market saturation also affects how designers are hired and fired -and of course salary negotiations. There is always someone ready and willing to replace you, or who is desperate for a job.  For me this has been my greatest challenge as a designer.  What are some of yours?

We cannot avoid it. We just need to go with the flow and enjoy what you are doing as well.
Return to top
Media these days is not much about content, but more about how things look. So, every media wants to look good, have a user friendly web site to attract more people, and catchy titles. This is the recipe for success.
Return to top