Facebook Share
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two-Factor Authentication for cPanel
Two-factor authentication (2FA) is an improved security measure that requires two forms of identification: your password and a generated security code. With 2FA enabled, an application on your smartphone supplies a code that you must enter with your password to log in. Without your smartphone, you cannot log in.

Quote:Note:
Two-factor authentication requires a smartphone with a supported time-based one-time password (TOTP) app. We suggest the following apps:

To configure two-factor authentication, perform the following steps:

1. Click Set Up Two-Factor Authentication.
  2. To configure two-factor authentication, you must link your cPanel account and your 2FA app: 
    • To automatically create the link, scan the displayed QR code with your app.
    • To manually create the link, enter the provided Account and Key information in your app.
  3. Open your 2FA app to retrieve the six-digit security code. 
  4. Enter the six-digit security code in the Security Code text box.
  5. Click Configure Two-Factor Authentication.
| GIGEBOX.COM
| High Performance Business Hosting.
| https://www.gigebox.com
Return to top
I have not enabled two-factor authentication for my cPanel account. However, I understand the importance of implementation because two-factor authentication will stop unauthorized login. I have used Google Authenticator for some services, for instance, I have two-factor authentication for my bitcoin wallet. I will try the options listed above.
Return to top
(04-16-2018, 02:28 AM)chameli Wrote: I have not enabled two-factor authentication for my cPanel account. However, I understand the importance of implementation because two-factor authentication will stop unauthorized login. I have used Google Authenticator for some services, for instance, I have two-factor authentication for my bitcoin wallet. I will try the options listed above.

Hi. I also have not enabled it. I never knew you can use your smartphone to implement it. I plan on enabling it soon though.
Return to top
Two factor authentication is important when funds or sensitive data is at stake. I have it enabled on a couple of sites because it adds an extra layer of security to our values. Better safe than sorry!
Return to top
Recently, I began using two factor authentication for my web hosting account. Maybe I do not need two factor authentication because I log into my hosting account only from my laptop and my laptop is inaccessible for people because it is password protected. The only problem I have with two factor authentication is sometimes it takes a long time to send verification code.
Return to top
From what I have known about security of one's account and website, the use of 2 factor authentication happens to be the best means to have your site or account 100% protected against all forms of hack. 

All the site that I have witnessed using 2 factor authentication has never had one single hack problem because there is no way to bypass the authentication process unless you have received the code to complete the login.
Return to top
(07-18-2018, 12:04 AM)chameli Wrote: Recently, I began using two factor authentication for my web hosting account. Maybe I do not need two factor authentication because I log into my hosting account only from my laptop and my laptop is inaccessible for people because it is password protected. The only problem I have with two factor authentication is sometimes it takes a long time to send verification code.

Some people are very skilled in breaking your password lock on your laptop as long as they have access to your laptop. There is a way to reboot the password settings on all computers and laptop, but with using Two-Factor authentication, even if the individual breaks your password, he still won't be able to have access to your site without the authentication code to login. So, I would suggest that you make use of Two-factor Authentication.
Return to top
(07-18-2018, 07:14 AM)Anachiwo Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 12:04 AM)chameli Wrote: Recently, I began using two factor authentication for my web hosting account. Maybe I do not need two factor authentication because I log into my hosting account only from my laptop and my laptop is inaccessible for people because it is password protected. The only problem I have with two factor authentication is sometimes it takes a long time to send verification code.

Some people are very skilled in breaking your password lock on your laptop as long as they have access to your laptop. There is a way to reboot the password settings on all computers and laptop, but with using Two-Factor authentication, even if the individual breaks your password, he still won't be able to have access to your site without the authentication code to login. So, I would suggest that you make use of Two-factor Authentication.

Agreed. If your computer has unauthorized access, your accounts might be compromised. having two factor authentication will stop people misusing your accounts. However, recently I experienced problems with access. Despite my various attempts, I did not receive code on my phone. I had to write to the support and disable two factor.
Return to top
A friend of mine Facebook account was hacked 3 days ago and she was left with no way to login into her account. I had to find a way to retrieve her password back through password reset feature in Facebook, and right after that, I had to set up a two-factor authentication for her login should someone try to hack into her account using another device it won't be possible since she will will get an OTP code to approve and complete the login.
Return to top
(07-25-2018, 07:45 AM)Heatman Wrote: A friend of mine Facebook account was hacked 3 days ago and she was left with no way to login into her account. I had to find a way to retrieve her password back through password reset feature in Facebook, and right after that, I had to set up a two-factor authentication for her login should someone try to hack into her account using another device it won't be possible since she will will get an OTP code to approve and complete the login.

That's very good of you @Heatman. It's not everyone that can dedicate their time to help others out with account security set up. Facebook seems to be the most hacked social media site by scammers who are looking for who to dupe or fraud. I have my Facebook account backed up with two-factor authentication security against any unapproved login that is not from me.
Return to top

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test your skills now, or develop your skills further with the cPanel University cours xz3r0 2 442 04-16-2018, 02:25 AM
Last Post: chameli
  cPanel Uploading for Satellite Connections Jasonn 2 305 04-04-2018, 01:35 AM
Last Post: Jasonn
  cPanel Video Tutorials xz3r0 2 385 04-03-2018, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Anachiwo
  How to restore cPanel backup xz3r0 0 283 01-06-2018, 01:59 AM
Last Post: xz3r0
  How to login to cPanel xz3r0 0 219 01-06-2018, 01:53 AM
Last Post: xz3r0